Unit 1 - Intro to Robotics
This unit introduces students to the vex components, basic building techniques and the importance of process and product documentation.
Unit Teacher Notes
Click here to download teacher notes for Unit 1
In this lesson students will take a survey and a pre-test to determine prior knowledge. After, this lesson will go over the overall format of the class, the syllabus and classroom policies. This lesson will also teach students the importance of the documentation process.
- Learn Classrom Policy/Excepectations
- Familiarize yourself with the classroom space
- Understand the importance of documenting the engineering process
- Understand the safety rules of the classroom
This lesson explores the history of robotics and the various applications of robotics in the real world.
- Demonstrate an understanding of robotics, its history, applications, and evolution. The students will be able to:
- Explore robotics history through research of the industry
- Compare and contrast various applications of automation and robotics
- Describe emerging technologies and their implication in the field of robotics
- Describe the ethical complications with robotics
In this lesson, students will identify the different parts of the VEX robotics kits and understand how the various subsystems work together.
- Define “design” and the “engineering design process”
- Explain how the different subsystems work together.
- Understand how to work safely
Students will work on teams to develop a high quality robot using a range of tools. They will communicate as a team to create a working robot that can complete a simple task with limited instructions.
- Develop an understanding of simple frame design and the building techniques required to create simple robot design solutions.
- Correctly produce entries into their engineering notebook.
- Learn how to assemble a strong chassis frame for your robot.
- Use a range of tools to join materials temporarily.
- Develop an understanding of how structures can be strong or strengthened.
Students will have to disassemble their robot in order to create an instruction manual for assembly.
- Understand the importance of documenting the engineering design process
Students will be quizzed on the components of Unit 1.
- Check for Understanding